Tuesday, April 22, 2014

This is not an uplifting post.

So like previously mentioned, studying abroad brings about a lot of emotions, both good and bad. I have not really posted recently about what point I am right now...so here it is.
I'm usually pretty happy and upbeat, even when things don't go my way.. which is pretty much every single day since I have been here. I mean, I am usually so happy it is down right annoying, even to myself, but there are just some times when I get fed up with it. I get fed up with the negative attitudes of others, the brown water, the rude comments, the bee infestation, the lack of air conditioning and the boring classes. I am frustrated. My Russian seems to be getting increasingly worse and I don't understand how and I have 0 energy to do anything. Now, this could all very well just be in my head and more than likely my Russian is not really getting worse and I'm just as usual being hard on myself, but that is how I feel.
No matter where you travel to, at some point, everyone will get a little homesick and miss the luxury of home. I am really sad today and the only thing I can pin point it to is being homesick. I miss my friends that  like who I am and what I stand for in life. I miss my cat that loves me because I feed her/him. I miss my boyfriend that I broke up with because I thought I wanted something more and decided Russia might have had it. I miss my mom and family who are only a phone call away to help comfort me. I miss the wonderful girls that I worked with in the international office and the amazing professors on campus that made class so interesting I actually wanted to come.
I came to Russia for a change in my life. I was mesmerized by Russian culture when I first learned about it and needed to experience it.  I was also bored with the same old routine and wanted to mix things up. But I've learned that no matter where you go, things become routine and the things that haunt you will follow you even when you are 4,000 miles away.
I love Moscow and all of the friends I've met here and I am so thankful for the experience, but I am ready to get back home to my same old boring routine that I tried to hard to get away from.

While I have about a month left to go, there are a few things I get to look forward to like my trip to Suzdal this weekend and a few more museum visits. I also get to look forward to no hot water next month.
Like I've said many times before, this has been nothing less of an adventure but eventually adventure leaves you too exhausted to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment