Sunday, April 6, 2014

Weekend activities

Friday:
After class I took my daily nap and then my friends and I baked chocolate chip cookies. They were not perfect but we had to use different brands of ingredients. I must say they were pretty good given the ratchet stove we had to use and the improv ingredients. Tory (always with a 'y' never an 'i'), did most of the cooking while Doria and I sampled Russian wines.

Saturday:
I met with my friend Julia and we went to chocolate "museum." It was a chocolate store and not a museum so that was a let down. We then went to a little cafe and I had my first iced coffee in 2 months. It was AMAZING! Two things I miss here, ice and iced coffee. They seem to think if you want iced coffee that you want the iced pureed with the coffee and that is far from what I want. In America we constantly complain that places give us too much ice in our drink but be happy you have clean enough water to make ice out of and they offer you ice free of charge. I'll never complain about that again.
After that I met with my new friend Irina and her Best Friend. We sat at the mall and talked a lot. It always makes me so nervous to speak Russian to native Russian speakers. Luckily, she speaks English really well. I even learned some new words :)
I took the metro home by myself and on my way out I noticed one of my friends and we were talking outside of the metro when a police officer came up behind him and asked for his passport. The police did not talk, look or even acknowledge my existence. My friend did not have his passport so the police took him to a corner and he had to pay them to not go to jail. Russian bribery at its finest. I don't understand how some of these people sleep at night.

Sunday:
I like to keep my Sundays as peaceful as possible since my weeks are always extremely busy. Today, I just ate at the cafe, watched Grey's Anatomy, studied a little Russian and ate pizza at the cafe. Yes, I ate at the cafe twice and yes, they have pizza here. I liked waking up and hearing that UK won. I'm a little sad that I'm not home to celebrate with everyone. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment