Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Goals > Fears

Its officially less than a week until I'll be in Russia. I still don't have my visa, but never fear because it will be here on Saturday. In the mean time, I can't get past all of the "warnings" my fellow American's have been giving me. I called customer service for my health insurance and the guy on the phone kept saying things like, "I've heard a lot of things on the news. Make sure you come back safe" etc. etc. My aunt is concerned that there is a shortage of clothes in Russia and everyone will be trying to steal my clothes, my dad thinks I'm going to get robbed, my mom is afraid I'll end up in prison and my grandmother thinks I'm going to die. I honesty have got minimal positive feedback from others when I tell them I'm going to Russia. Listening to everyone's thoughts and fears hasn't really given me time to evaluate my own. When I come to think of it, my main fear is losing my luggage. Maybe this is the young and care free side coming out in me because I really am not in fear for my safety. I am excited for this adventure and I am looking forward to how much I'll grow as a person during this experience. I can't let the fears of others get in the way of having a great time and getting the most out of this experience. I have set some goals for myself to achieve in the next four months:

1.) Make 3 new friends.
2.) Improve on my Russian grammar
3.) Go to a banya (Russian bath)
4.) See a Russian ballet
5.) Visit the Red Square
6.) Read 4 new pieces of Russian literature
7.) Learn how to type in Russian on my computer without having to use the keyboard viewer

On a side note, In preparation for the trip I got a flu shot, hepatitis A shot, and a TDAP shot (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis). When I went for my pre departure check up these were what the doctor suggested I get for travel to Russia.

До Свидания!


No comments:

Post a Comment