Thursday, March 20, 2014

Being nice is not something you should have to 'try' to do.

I started off the morning by taking the Marshrootka to class. The driver and I had a conversation the entire way there. He said he remembered me from the other day and he just wanted to know where I was from and what I was studying in Moscow. He is from Tajikistan and works everyday. Yesterday, when I was talking about immigration from Mexico to the United States, A Russian girl mentioned that in Russia they have a lot of immigrants from Tajikistan. She said that they come here because there are more job opportunities.  From what I have noticed during my many rides, people tend to treat those who drive marshrootkas as if they are less than human. I refuse to treat them or anyone else for that matter like that. It is amazing how many friends you can make and how much you can learn from people by just being kind to strangers. The sooner we all realize that not everyone has ulterior motives including but not limited to, kidnapping us, killing us, marrying us, beating us up, or selling us into white slavery, the less arrogant American's will seem. Humans are generally curious and usually a lot of people just want to know why in the heck I chose to come to Russia out of every other place in the world. That's a very logical question considering everyone in America asks me the same thing. (Stepping down off my soapbox). 
When I got off at my stop, a wonderful young lady overheard the conversation and said that my Russian was not bad at all and that I can practice with her anytime. By being kind to only one person, I was automatically deemed approachable and made two new friends.
Since I started off my morning with a Russian conversation, I was on fire and ready for my test in grammar. I think I did really well. It's amazing how much my Russian has improved because if I would have tried to take that test 2 months ago, I would not have been able to take it. Since I only have one class on Thursdays, I got to go home. Going home is never anything less than an adventure with me, because I got on a different marshootka and who would have guessed, I am also friends with the two people who work on that one. When I was getting off, a Russian guy who was riding told me "Good Luck." I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that. Maybe he meant "Good Luck learning Russian, Good Luck finding where you need to be, Good Luck surviving in Moscow, Good Luck living life."  I'll just assume he meant a general, "Good Luck living life, Kallie." I officially can never leave Moscow because I will miss my marshootka adventures too much. America should seriously start these. For a standard fee 30 roubles (Less than $1) I can go a good distance.
Currently, I am trying to memorize a song called 'Katyusha' for my tutoring on Monday. It is a really catchy song and I feel like it is something I should sing to my children one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment