Saturday, March 1, 2014

Масленица & Armed Forces


The day started early with a trip to the Armed Forces museum. This was an amazing place and it was extremely well designed. We had a Russian speaker as a tour guide and then another one to translate. My favorite part was the military vehicle display outside. I had never seen military vehicles that close! Germany had 2 tons of medals in Russia to give to the soldiers when they captured Moscow, since that did not happen and they left so abruptly, the museum now has 2 tons of those medals.

After, we all went to the Масленица festival. You can read about the history of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslenitsa
There was so much Блины! Its like a very thin pancake filled with anything that you want. I started out the morning with a chocolate and banana one and then I had one with ham & cheese. Sorry to all of my non pork eaters :)

This was a wonderful experience that I had looked forward to since before I came to Russia. I'm a little bit sad that I don't get to celebrate it with the University of Kentucky Russian club on Tuesday, but maybe next year!
Today was an overall great day except for the fact that I can't find shoes in my size but I'm not getting into that :(

No comments:

Post a Comment