Thursday, February 6, 2014

Breaking Stereotypes

After one of my group members posted a status about stereotypes about Russian people, I felt the need to also address the issue as well. It's easy to pass judgement on people when you are being fed information from the media. If all you have ever known about Russia is from American news channels and TV shows, it would be easy to think that Russia is a terrible place with rude people who are mean to foreigners. I figured that when I got here I was going to be mistreated and Russians wouldn't help me and that they wouldn't smile. I can agree that Russians do not smile as much as Americans do but the rest is ridiculous. Any time I have been to a restaurant or have been lost and needed directions, Russians have been willing to help me in any way possible. Even though their English isn't very good and my Russian is very bad, they still manage to help as much as they can up until actually walking me to where I need to be. I had heard so many negative things about Russian people that when I got here I was shocked. I am having problems with the money because I don't know my numbers very well and every cashier has been patient and helpful with me.
I think it is very important that students study abroad in lesser explored areas because now I have a new outlook on Russia that I can take home and share with others. By doing that, I will be contributing first hand information on the truths about Russia rather than accepting everything that the American news posts as fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment