Saturday, February 15, 2014

Today was a day to remember

Today, Feb 15th, was just one of those days I will never forget. The American's got together with some Russians along with a Finnish guy (Mark) and watched the US-Russia hockey match. I can't explain what a fulfilling experience this was for me. These few hours encompassed why I came to Russia. The fact that people from all different backgrounds, world views, and experiences could come together and cheer for our countries without hard feelings was amazing. It is possible to have pride for your own country and not be obnoxious or arrogant about it. I thought both teams did an amazing job and I am happy that I was able to be in Russia at this time. I am so thankful for my new Russian friends that are so willing to help me with the language and willing to show me the Russia that they know and love. I will forever be grateful for this day.
After the hockey match we all walked to the red square and it was so amazing with all of the lights. Some of us went to Mcdonalds and some of us went to a London styled pub. We ate, drank, and talked about the game. One of the Russian guys told me how hard it is to understand us when we talk fast and that made me feel better because to me it is also difficult to understand Russians when they talk fast. We all are experiencing the same things when learning each other's native language. Every day I learn how we all are the same rather than how we are different. We're students on a limited budget. We study, learn and have dreams for the future. I'm just so happy I got to achieve one of my dreams of coming to Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment