Sunday, February 16, 2014

Never a dull moment

It's Sunday and on Sunday's I like to do laundry. I was going to ask my roommate to help me figure it out but I decided to take the adventure myself. The laundry room is on the bottom floor of my sector so it is very close to me. Before I came to Russia, the only advice that was repeatedly given to me was "be prepared to wait and have a lot of patience." I didn't think I would need patience to do a small task such as laundry, but I was very wrong. I had to wait over an hour to put my clothes in the washer because there was a "laundry room monitor" who would tell you when you could put your clothes in the washer. It cost around $2.85 (100 rubles) and she gave you the coins to put in the machine as well as the laundry detergent. I thought that was convenient. After your laundry was done washing, you put it in the dryer yourself, pay her again and she gave you the coins. There is an option to have her wash your clothes but that can take up to 3 days.
While I was waiting, I met some other Americans as well as a new Russian friend, so my time waiting was time very well spent.
So, I thought tonight I would order a pizza from the cafe and have it delivered to my room. I must have been feeling very confident or something. I didn't understand what the lady on the phone was saying, even with my best Russian she didn't know what I was saying so in the end I just hung up and walked downstairs and ordered it.
Other than that I have just been working on my Russian homework and trying to memorize some new verbs. I have class tomorrow at 9 am and I am definitely not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment